Don’t hibernate. Button Up!
It’s hard to beat a good nap but let’s face it, you’re not a bear. There’s no need to sleep away an entire winter when you can stay warm and cozy by buttoning up your home instead.
Button Up is Vermont’s annual campaign to help you prepare for winter. From tips on air sealing and insulation, to weighing the benefits of upgrades like energy efficient heat pumps, we’re here to help you keep a comfortable den – all season long.
How do I know if I need to Button Up?
If your home is losing heat, it’s likely you’ve noticed one or more of these common problems:
Drafts. If cool air leaks in while your heat is on, you can be sure that energy is being wasted.
Snow melt. Snow melting in some areas of your roof and not others can indicate that your attic is not properly sealed and insulated.
Icicles. They may look pretty, but icicles often indicate that heat is escaping through your roof
Mold. Lack of insulation can cause moisture to rise and get trapped in the attic.
I’m losing heat – what should I do?
Stopping heat loss increases comfort and saves money. Here's what you can do:
- Attend an event to learn about buttoning up
- Sign up for a Virtual Home Energy Visit with an energy expert at Efficiency Vermont
- Complete DIY projects to stop drafts
- Find a qualified contractor through Efficiency Vermont’s Efficiency Excellence Network
- Get started on a comprehensive weatherization project to air seal and insulate your home
- Install an efficient heat pump system to save on fossil fuel