It's Time to Invest In Home
The 2020 Button Up campaign will help Vermonters stay comfortable and safe by investing in their homes.
This year upended life for just about all of us...and for many Vermonters, it's been really tough. With all the uncertainty we face, why bring weatherization up on the priority list in 2020? Well, having safe, comfortable, and energy efficient homes is more important than ever these days, and in true Vermont fashion, neighbors helping neighbors is how we’ll get it done.
Here are some key benefits of weatherization:
- Safety: A professional weatherization contractor can ensure that the right amount of fresh air is moving through the home to keep people healthy, without wasting money by heating (or cooling) the outdoors. This work can reduce mold and respiratory illness, keeping Vermont families safer and avoiding health complications and doctor’s visits.
- Money: Winter used to be the only time of year when Vermonters needed to spend money and use energy to stay comfortable. These days, though, more of us are installing AC to make it through the longer heat waves we’re facing. Anyone who spends money to heat or cool their home can benefit from investing in weatherization. The average Vermonter saves hundreds of dollars a year through weatherization, and also enjoys the benefits of a more comfortable home.
- Security: Smaller utility and fuel bills are always nice...but in a year when many Vermonters have lost their jobs, saving money on monthly expenses is more important than ever. Weatherization gives Vermonters financial flexibility, which means a lot during a crisis, and investing in homes is a way to build resilience to weather future crises. We can’t meet our state climate goals without significant weatherization projects in almost all of our buildings. Progress on weatherization is also necessary to mitigate the impact of future weather, economic, and public health disasters that a warmer climate will bring.
For Button Up 2020, we’ll continue to offer expert advice through online events, virtual home energy visits, and resources on our website. And we’re going a step further by building on the Vermont tradition of neighbors helping neighbors. We’ve created the Button Up Vermont Share the Warmth Campaign, which will help pay for weatherization projects for low income Vermonters. This is an opportunity to help your neighbors and double your organization’s impact with matching contributions from Button Up sponsors.
The 2020 Button Up Season will include:
- Livestreamed DIY trainings to help Vermonters get ready for winter.
- Weatherization Wednesdays...a weekly webinar helping Vermonters determine what home weatherization strategy will work best for them.
- Free virtual home energy visits (while appointments last).
- Opportunities to help your neighbors, such as contributing to the new Button Up Vermont Share the Warmth Campaign administered by the Vermont Community Foundation, weatherizing homes for low income Vermonters.
How to Participate
- Weatherize! Dig into some DIY work and consider a whole home weatherization project.
- Organize! Sign up to get resources to spread the word in your community. By joining, your neighbors become eligible to sign up for limited, free virtual home energy visits.
- Give! Donate to the new Button Up Vermont Share the Warmth Campaign or consider sponsoring to challenge friends, community members, or customers to give. Contact us to learn more.
Check out all the partners who make Button Up possible.